Join us for a FREE upcoming in-person or online event!

Elder Law & Estate Planning | St. Clairsville, OH | Call 740-653-3450

Have questions or want to schedule an appointment? Call (740) 660-6069

Can I be paid to care for a family member?

Get The Legal Help You Need

Can I be paid to care for a family member?

Millions of Americans provide care to ill or aging family members without receiving pay, which can make it difficult for caregivers to make ends meet. As awareness of this dilemma for families increases, so too have options for financial relief in the form of paid leave or payment for family members.

If you are caring for a family member, there are possibilities available for you to be compensated for your time.


Medicaid services let qualified individuals manage their own long-term, in-home services. In some states, this can include “hiring” a family member. The MyCare Ohio Plan is a Medicaid program that allows certain family members—other than spouses or legal guardians—to be hired and paid as the personal care provider.

There is a procedure for self-directed care that includes the following steps:

  • The family member providing care will be assessed by Medicaid to determine their ability to do the job.
  • Your caregiver must create a written plan of the services they will provide, such as personal hygiene, feeding, medication management, food preparation, light housekeeping, and transportation. The plan should include contingency options if the caregiver is unavailable.


The Veterans Administration (VA) offers the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers if the caregiver is:

  • At least 18 years old and a family member of the veteran
  • Lives full-time with the veteran or is willing to do so

The veteran must have a specific VA disability rating, and their disabilities must have been caused by or worsened due to active duty service.

Ohio Elderly Services Program

In Ohio, seniors who do not qualify for Medicaid because of disability and income but who cannot afford to hire in-home care assistance might be eligible for the Ohio Elderly Services Program. This program assists seniors in continuing to live independently rather than going to a long-term care facility.

The program is only available in the following four Ohio counties: Butler, Clinton, Hamilton, and Warren.

How an Elder Law Attorney Can Help

If you are providing caregiver services for a disabled or aging relative, and they are receiving state-supported, in-home care, you should talk to an experienced elder law attorney about a contract between you and your family member. This agreement will show the state what kinds of services you are providing for the money. An attorney can also advise you on whether or not you are eligible for tax credits for the care you are providing. Contact Jarvis Law Office to learn more.

Why Choose Jarvis Law Office?

Contact Us | Jarvis Law Office, Ohio | Call 740-653-3450

Contact Us

Contact Us Today For Case Evaluation

Contact Us

*Required Fields

By ticking the consent above and clicking “Contact Us Today”, I consent to join the email list and receive SMS from Jarvis Law Office. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies. More details on this are in our Privacy Policy and Terms and Conditions. Text “HELP” for help or contact us at 740-746-1260. Text “STOP” to cancel.

Professional Associations

Contact Us | Jarvis Law Office, Ohio | Call 740-653-3450

Recent Blog Posts